Want to improve your memory and increase cognitive function? Want to stay focused? Then you have come to the right place. With the help of brain supplements like Prevagen and Natrol Cognium, you can achieve all that and a lot more. By taking the right supplements, you can improve your brain health. The best supplement depends on your needs.
In this article, I will discuss the two best brain supplements, Prevagen and Natrol Cognium. Both are extremely popular brain supplements, so I was naturally curious to see which one is best for supporting our cognitive function. Both of these products are categorized as “ nootropic supplements “.
Just like a multivitamin nourishes your body, a nootropic supplement enhances your mind.
Prevagen is a dietary supplement manufactured by Quincy Bioscience, a biotechnology company based in Madison, Wisconsin. Its benefits include better brain health, support for healthy brain function, and clarity. It is a powerful nootropic that could significantly boost your brainpower.
On the other hand, Cognium is a natural nootropic made by Natrol, a supplement company that describes itself as a US leader in vitamins, minerals, and health supplements. It is positioned specifically for healthy adults who are seeking to improve memory and recall.
Following a comparison between these two ( Prevagen and Natrol Cognium ) will help you to decide which one is better for your health.
What is prevalent?
Prevagen is a memory support supplement launched by the company Quincy Bioscience in 2007. Prevagen is marketed as a cognitive enhancement supplement made from vitamin D and apoaequorin, derived from a jellyfish.
This product claims that it can improve your memory functioning and lead to clearer, sharper thinking. The supplement supports your overall brain functioning.
What is Natrol Cognium?
Natrol Cognium is a nootropic formula created to maximize your cognitive powers. Natrol Cognium is geared in the direction of people who wish to take something to care for their brain. It contains silk protein hydrolysate, CERA-Q.
Cognium is a breakthrough in brain health, powered by a unique ingredient backed by human clinical studies. The product promises statistically significant improvements in memory and recalls in healthy adults, in as little as four weeks.
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Overview :
Prevagen, the leading brain health supplement, is formulated with apoaequorin, an ingredient originally discovered in jellyfish and which has been shown to support healthy brain function through peer–reviewed studies for efficacy and safety.
Prevagen has been recognized by Better Nutrition Magazine in its annual “Best of Supplements” awards in the category of brain health.
The best brain formulas typically include more to cover all aspects of cognitive performance. Despite this, Prevagen is claimed to boost your :
- Executive function.
- Short-term and Long-term Memory.
Natrol Cognium Overview:
The Natrol Cognium tablets have been clinically proven to help in memory recall in adults. The active ingredient in this product is Cognium.
Cognium is found in a protein that is present in silkworm threads. It has been clinically proven to show remarkable results when it comes to enhanced cognitive abilities.
Natrol Cognium dosage is one tablet twice per day with your meals. Taken daily, it’s said to lead to these benefits:
- Improved memory retention.
- Improved memory recall speed.
- Supports brain health by protecting cells from oxidative damage.
- Better word recall in 4 weeks.
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Ingredients :
The active ingredient in Prevagen is apoaequorin, a protein that scientists found in jellyfish back in the 1960s. The company currently uses a synthetic version of this calcium-binding protein.
Other Prevagen ingredients include Vitamin D3, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable capsule (cellulose, water), and maltodextrin.
- Apoaequorin– This is a protein derived from a jellyfish. There’s some evidence that it supports healthy brain functioning. A study published in Advances in Body-Mind Medicine found that ingestion of this substance did improve cognitive functioning in older adults.
- Vitamin D3– This vitamin supports brain health by activating enzymes in the brain. It also serves the role of protecting neurons. It is a fat-soluble vitamin that your body is naturally producing when your body is exposed to sunlight.
Natrol Cognium Ingredients:
This supplement has one main ingredient and a number of inactive substances.
- Silk Protein Hydrolysate (CERA-Q)– This is found in the threads of silkworm cocoons. It helps with blood flow and the uptake of glucose to the brain, thereby enhancing memory.
- Stearic Acid– This is an inactive ingredient common in many cognitive enhancement supplements. It’s a fatty acid that is used as a softening agent.
- Dicalcium Phosphate– This is a form of calcium phosphate that is used as inactive filler.
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Money Back Guarantee:
Prevagen Money Back Guarantee:
If you are not satisfied with Prevagen, you can request a refund 45 days after purchase. The company requires you to have the original receipt and original bottles, including unused products.
This offer is only available to 50 United States and D.C only.
Natrol Cognium Money Back Guarantee:
If you try Cognium and are not completely satisfied, then they will also refund your purchase.
Remember: for best results, Cognium should be taken as directed daily for four weeks.
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Pros and Cons:
Prevagen Pros and Cons:
Natrol Cognium Pros and Cons:
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Side effects :
Prevagen Side effects:
The supplement is generally tolerated well and may not cause any side effects in certain people. However, this may not be the case for all people.
Here is a list of expected side effects of the Prevagen supplement.
- Vomiting and
- Skin rashes
- Cardiovascular problems like hypertension, irregular heart rate, and chest pain. (Occur in case of overdose)
Avoid it if you are allergic to any of the product ingredients.
To avoid any potential side effects, you need to take the recommended dose which is 1 pill per day. Do not overdose!
Natrol Cognium Side effects:
The only ingredient in Cognium – CERA-Q – is essentially unstudied. So, we don’t have any reliable information on how people react to Cognium’s only ingredient.
As such, we recommend avoiding this nootropic because of safety concerns.
However, some common side effects may include:
- Headache, dizziness;
- Feeling anxious or nervous;
- vomiting, upset stomach;
- Diarrhea, constipation;
- Increased sweating; or
- Sleep problems (insomnia).
As a precaution, it is best to consult your doctor if you have any underlying medical condition or already taking other medications.
Prevagen VS Natrol Cognium – Reviews:
Let’s find out what the customers think about Prevagen first!
- The overall global rating of Prevagen on Amazon was 4.1 / 5 (at the time of writing this review)
- Most people have praised their customer service.
- The customer feedback about its effects is mixed; some people have praised its beneficial effects while others think it’s a waste of money.
- Many think it’s a scam and a total lie: no improvement and no noticeable difference after 30 days of use.
- According to one customer, it’s an overpriced supplement with no results because it will degrade in the stomach.
Natrol Cognium Reviews:
The overall global rating of Cognium is the same as the Prevagen.
- It has got 4.1 / 5 stars on Amazon at the time of writing this review.
- The customer reviews are a mix, and many people think it’s not worth the money.
- For others, it will give you headaches, nausea, stomach, upset, and diarrhea.
- Another 77 years old customer praised its effects, and he thinks that he can remember things after using this product.
- Many say that it has the ability to protect against age-related declines in mental health and cognitive function.
- Most people find it very expensive than many other supplements in this area.
To Sum Up:
So this brings my Prevagen vs Natrol Cognium comparison to the end. These two supplements are very popular, but their ingredient profiles don’t live up to the hype.
Both products are big letdowns. Whereas Prevagen has two ingredients, one of which is vitamin D and the other one doesn’t work, Natrol Cognium uses only one ingredient that is not proven to have any benefit either.
If I had to choose one, I would go with Prevagen because it at least uses vitamin D, which can offer some benefits for mood and cognition. Then again, it is better to just buy a vitamin D supplement instead, or simply eat more foods rich in this nutrient (or go more often in the sun if possible). It’s much cheaper!